Mary Easton Sibley
Mary Easton Sibley

Celebrity Profile

Name: Mary Easton Sibley
Occupation: Teacher
Gender: Female
Birth Day: January 24, 1800
Death Date: Jun 20, 1878 (age 78)
Age: Aged 78
Country: United States
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius

Social Accounts

Height: in centimeters - N/A
Weight: in kg - N/A
Eye Color: N/A
Hair Color: N/A
Blood Type N/A
Tattoo(s) N/A

Mary Easton Sibley

Mary Easton Sibley was born on January 24, 1800 in United States (78 years old). Mary Easton Sibley is a Teacher, zodiac sign: Aquarius. Find out Mary Easton Sibleynet worth 2020, salary 2020 detail bellow.


She became involved in the Second Adventist Movement toward the end of her life.

Does Mary Easton Sibley Dead or Alive?

As per our current Database, Mary Easton Sibley died on Jun 20, 1878 (age 78).

Net Worth

Net Worth 2020


Salary 2020

Not known

Before Fame

She was born the first of eleven children and attended a boarding school as a child.

Biography Timeline


Mary Sibley was born in Rome, New York on January 24, 1800, the daughter of Rufus Easton and Alby Abial Easton. She was the first of eleven children for the Easton family. Mary's father's family was from England and settled in Connecticut in the 1640s. The family helped found Hartford, Connecticut. Her mother's family was also from an educated colonial family. The two met in New York and married in 1798, when Alby was only 15 years old.


In 1804, Rufus Easton learned that his former law professor and attorney general of the District of Louisiana, Ephraim Kirby, had died. When the position became available, President Thomas Jefferson asked Easton to consider the appointment. Easton accepted and applied for a license to practice law in Indiana Territory. He set out for St. Louis. Easton would be attorney general of the largest land jurisdiction in the United States. By September 1804, the Easton family had settled in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.


According to Sibley’s diaries, sometime prior to 1815 she had returned to her family in St. Louis. It was during this time that she would frequent dances with her friend. Mary met George Champlin Sibley one evening in 1814. Mary later said she first met George at a dinner party at her parents' house, but it is possible that the two met at a dance at one of the surrounding forts. George knew Mary's father and the two had collaborated on a business or legal matter previously, though the extent of this collaboration is not known. Rufus Easton was a land speculator and George Sibley was interested in developing the area around Fort Osage. While little is known about Mary and George's courtship, after they met, George only had eyes for Mary. Mary was only fourteen years old, while George was thirty-two. They married on August 19, 1815. Mary was only 15 when married.


While little is known of Sibley’s early life, family records state that for a period she was sent to boarding school in Lexington, Kentucky. It is likely that Sibley attended Shelbyville Female Academy when she was 14 or 15 between 1813 and her marriage in 1815.


George operated an Indian trading post at Fort Osage on the Missouri River. He was the factor of Fort Osage, which meant he was not only a fur trader, but was an official representative of the United States government at what was then the westernmost post. After they were married, in March 1816, the Sibleys returned to Fort Osage. One of Mary's sisters accompanied them, likely as much to avoid homesickness as to provide companionship. There were very few women at Fort Osage, and most were wives of Sibley's employees, soldiers, or other locals. None were considered of sufficient social status to socialize with Mary.


George and Mary both believed that the best solution to the "Indian problem" was education and assimilation into Euro-American society. Although neither were particularly religious, George helped the United Mission Society of New York select a site for mission work in 1821. The Sibleys also helped missionaries with supplies and used their relationships with the Osage on the mission's behalf. When Sans Oreille, a chief of the Little Osage died, the Sibleys took in his daughter. The girl came under the Sibley's care after payment of a blanket and trade cloth to her mother. She took the name Mary Sibley.


Mary remained with George at Fort Osage until it closed in 1822. The Sibleys remained in the area, on a farm they had developed. In 1824, according to a tax assessor, the farm had five slaves, many horses, and 30 cattle.

Between 1822 and 1825, George was the postmaster general for the area, along with trying unsuccessfully to start up a privately-owned trading post. George attempted to go into business setting up a trading post with two former employees, but the collapse of the business put him so far in debt it took him ten years to recover. When the trading post failed, George found work as the lead commissioner which surveyed what became known as the Santa Fe Trail, in 1825.


In 1827, as the Sibleys settled in St. Charles, Mary started a small school in town; first teaching her sister, Louisa, and a few town girls from her home. By 1831, a log cabin was built at Linden Wood, specifically to house twenty boarding students; as well as create additional classroom space.


George's job on the Santa Fe Trail did not earn him enough to repay his debts. He had to sell most of his land holdings to break even. Mary visited family members for an extended period of time between 1827 and 1828, and afterwards did not return to the farm at Osage with George. Mary chose to stay with her parents in St. Charles. George followed her a few months later and the two settled on some land George owned just outside of town. The couple established a new farm in 1829, which they named Linden Wood. The farm prospered.

Because of the numerous Linden trees on this property, the Sibleys named the property Linden Wood. While George cleared the land for farming, the couple lived in town until a home was built on the property in 1829.


George was content to farm the land, but Mary grew bored. George no longer held a government office and they were too far from town to socialize much. It is not known exactly why Mary decided to start a school for girls at Linden Wood, but it may be that she wanted to help George pay off his debt, her "social conscience" had been awakened, or that the school and teaching would allow her to express her individuality. Although the reasons for its establishment are not known, Mary started a school for girls at Linden Wood in late 1830 or early 1831.


By 1839, the school at Lindenwood cost three dollars a week for tuition, board, and school supplies. Students learned French and German, music, art, and Protestant virtues of piety and personal responsibility. In the 1840s, enrollment increased, requiring additional instructors. Around this time, the Sibleys were also operating a day school for boys and girls in St. Charles. That school had forty-nine students for the 1839 fall term. Both of the Sibleys' schools closed in 1841, however, due to economic stress in the region and problems hiring teachers who met Mary's standards. The schools were reopened in 1842, but were not without their problems.


As finances became tight for the college in 1843, Mary traveled east to raise money. She succeeded in raising approximately $4,000, enough to keep the school in operation. In 1853, George and Mary Sibley donated 120 acres of land to the school and Lindenwood Female College incorporated with a 15-man board of directors. The board helped appoint professors, teachers, and developed the school's curriculum.


After her husband died in 1863, Mary sold her house and moved to St. Louis. Between 1866 and 1869, Mary joined an organization created by a prominent St. Louis philanthropist, James E. Yeatman. Named Bethany House, the organization was for missionary nurses to work with the St. Louis poor. Bethany House was struggling, and in December 1866, Mary was asked to take charge and revitalize it. She often clashed with volunteers and clergy and her grand plans for building a hospital and other projects were more than the financial backers wanted to take on. In 1868, Yeatman and other backers withdrew their funding and Bethany House closed.


Once Bethany House closed in 1868, Mary moved back to St. Charles at Linden Wood. Near the end of her life, Mary became involved in the Second Adventist Movement . In 1873, Mary received a letter from a Japanese man named Isaac K. Yokoyama, who requested that she send educators to Japan who could also spread Christianity. In her mid 70s, Mary took it upon herself to serve as a missionary/educator and set out for the West Coast, en route to Japan. Mary left from New York City by boat to Panama, crossed the isthmus, and traveled to California. Mary became ill before she could board the ship for Japan. On June 20, 1878, Mary Sibley died at the age of 78. She is buried with her family in a cemetery located at Lindenwood University.

Family Life

Mary married George Champlin Sibley in 1815.

🎂 Upcoming Birthday

Currently, Mary Easton Sibley is 222 years, 10 months and 3 days old. Mary Easton Sibley will celebrate 223rd birthday on a Tuesday 24th of January 2023. Below we countdown to Mary Easton Sibley upcoming birthday.


Mary Easton Sibley trends


  1. Who is Mary Easton Sibley ?
  2. How rich is Mary Easton Sibley ?
  3. What is Mary Easton Sibley 's salary?
  4. When is Mary Easton Sibley 's birthday?
  5. When and how did Mary Easton Sibley became famous?
  6. How tall is Mary Easton Sibley ?
  7. Who is Mary Easton Sibley 's girlfriend?
  8. List of Mary Easton Sibley 's family members?

You might intereintereststed in

  1. Top 20 Teacher celebrities in Brazil
  2. Top 20 Teacher celebrities in Canada
  3. Top 20 Teacher celebrities in England
  4. Top 20 Teacher celebrities in India
  5. Top 20 Teacher celebrities in United States